The primary goals of ACTS are:
- To increase in laity the ability to intentionally live and share the Christian faith.
- To develop in laity a fuller understanding of the Bible, the theology of our church, and the practice of ministry.
- To equip in laity leadership special areas of ministry and service as ambassadors for Christ.
A typical course will consist of 10 hours of large-group instruction by a recognized authority, offered in two five hour Saturday sessions. Plus five two hour small groups, usually done on a weeknight chosen by the group and led by a rostered leader.
For more information on the ACTS program you can contact:
The Rev. Karen R, Taylor
P.O. Box 70
Salem, VA 24153
If you would like to be included in ACTS mailings contact Lenae at email@example.com
1. Foundations of Lutheran Theology (Confessions): This course will use the Book of Concord to study central beliefs and teachings of the Lutheran Church. A foundational understanding will
develop as the student focuses on Martin Luther’s thoughts on salvation and justification. By the
end of this study the participant will leave with practical ways to apply these principals in today’s world.
2. Old Testament: An introduction to the history, culture and geography of the people and lands of the Old Testament. The participant will learn about the relationship between the Old Testament
and the New Testament as they follow the story of Ancient Israel from the time of Abraham to the return from the exile.
3. New Testament: The participant will study the content and development of the New Testament. The Gospels provide the foundation for the church and by the end of this course the participant will have an increased knowledge of the New Testament and how it sets us free to share our God-given gifts.
4. Biblical Models of Leadership: This course will examine the many different examples of leadership that the Bible provides. The participant will study biblical and theological bases for mission in todays communities. They will begin to develop practical ways to encourage, equip, support and organize congregations and communities for evangelical outreach.
5. Spirituality and Leadership: This course will explore how throughout biblical history prayerfully listening to God changed the way leaders served in response to God’s call. The participant will learn ways a congregation can prepare and use their many differing personal and spiritual gifts for mission.
6. The Christian’s Call Today: This course focuses on the Christian’s faith life, work and secular life. Students will examine their own gifts and how to use their gifts to proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ in their daily practices.
After completing the six courses above students will receive a certificate of recognition. You may
take the courses in any order.
ACTS students are encouraged to continue learning and may enroll in additional classes after receiving
their certificate. A discount is offered to a repeat course.
More information on courses offered in 2018 will be coming out soon!
You are needed as a knowledgeable ambassador for Christ. ACTS will equip you to answer “yes” to the call to be Christ’s ambassador. If you’re seeking a deeper faith, then ACTS is for you!
ACTS is a series of advanced courses that will help you to look more deeply into biblical truths and to study essential elements of faith. ACTS is designed to prepare church leaders for more effective service.
ACTS provides theological grounding for lay people who are called to lead in congregations, the Virginia
Synod, or the ELCA. This educational program is for anyone who wants to enrich his or her knowledge and faith. Enrolling in ACTS can be a significant step in your spiritual growth and a blessing to those affected by your witness.
What are enrollment requirements?
You don’t have to be a biblical scholar to attend ACTS, but it helps to have a general understanding of the Bible and Christian theology. An eagerness to study and learn is essential.
Why an ACTS certificate of recognition?
Certificates help to identify lay people who are equipped for service in the mission of the church. Think of an ACTS Certificate as a milestone in your preparation for service or leadership.
Do I have to participate in the ACTS certificate program?
No. You may take one or several courses of your choice without seeking certification.
How much does ACTS cost?
Each ACTS course costs $175 for tuition, plus the cost of textbooks and materials. We do have some discounted rates that are offered, please check the registration form to see what rates may apply for you or your congregation.
Is ACTS limited to Lutherans?
While ACTS is geared for Lutheran laity, others are welcome.
- Laity can register to be members of this exciting new community.
- Clergy can indicate their willingness to be small group leaders or attend courses as continuing education.
- All can share the word in your home congregation by encouraging folks you think would be good candidates to enroll, and by putting information in your church newsletter about ACTS.
- Encourage your congregation to provide scholarships.
- Pray for ACTS.
- Make special financial gifts to ACTS.
- Contact The Rev. Karen R. Taylor, Synodical Minister for Christian Formation, at firstname.lastname@example.org about how your congregation could become involved in ACTS.
Please be advised that it is our practice to record the lectures and sell the DVD’s and CD’s to our participants. All ACTS materials DVD’s, CD’s, presenter handouts, powerpoints etc. are to be used only for ACTS and for further study of the ACTS participants for the particular course. Any other non-ACTS use is strictly prohibited.