Welcome to Do Justice, a semi-monthly newsletter of the Virginia Synod, lifting up God’s call and command that we, God’s people, do justice. You will find helpful info about justice ministries in congregations, around Virginia, and through the ELCA. If you have stories of justice to share from your congregation, please share those with me at email@example.com so I can share them with others in the synod!
The Rev. Kelly Bayer Derrick
Assistant to the Bishop
Support Hotline Phone Numbers for the Vulnerable
Sheltering in place can leave some people feeling vulnerable to other calamities. We offer these phone numbers to folks in times of need to share with your congregation, on websites, and Facebook pages:
Earth Day at Home
- Explore and use ELCA Care for Creation resources, including video, study and action guides with information about the Creation Care Ambassadors initiative.
- Read the Lutherans Restoring Creation story “5 Ways to Celebrate Earth Day as Church Together but Apart.”
- Learn about the Creation Care Ambassadors program that equips Lutherans to be leaders in settings across the church and in our communities.
- Accept the ELCA Young Adults No Plastics for Lent challenge this Easter season.
- Participate in a local clean-up (with appropriate distancing) if permitted by local authorities, or participate in the Earth Challenge 2020 citizen scientist initiative, focused on plastic pollution and clean air.
- On April 21, take part in the Parliament of World Religions’ 50th Earth Day Observance With Global Religious and Indigenous Leaders.
- Join with the ELCA’s ecumenical partner Creation Justice Ministries in advocacy, education and prayer.
April is National Arab American Heritage Month
Virginia Governor Signs and Amends Bills
Governor Northam had until this past Saturday night to sign bills into law, amend or veto bills and send them back to the legislators, or to allow bills to become law without his signature. Here’s the action the Governor took on legislation that VICPP supported. We hope the General Assembly will support most of his amendments. VICPP is quite pleased with the overall outcome of the session and most of the Governor’s amendments. Read the full article.