Due to the highly infectious nature of COVID-19, the lack of available testing, the absence of an effective treatment for the disease, and the time needed to prepare for gathering again leads the Bishop’s Office to recommend abstaining from in-person gatherings through Forward Virginia Safer at Home Phase 1, Phase 2, and possibly beyond. As each new Phase of reopening occurs in Virginia, congregational leaders will need to consider how to protect the health and well-being of the entire community, not simply do what is allowable or legal.
Use the links below to access the recommendations from the Office of the Bishop on Gathering Again, the Guidance from the ELCA on Returning to In-Person Worship, and the Forward Virginia website from the Governor Northam’s Office. Please carefully review the information found at all four links as you begin preparations for gathering again.
- Office of the Bishop Statement on Virginia Forward Phase 3 June 25, 2020
- Pandemic Office Protocols for the Virginia Synod Office of the Bishop
- Office of the Bishop Statement on Gathering Again: May 14, 2020
- Chart Summarizing Office of the Bishop Gathering Again Guidance May 14, 2020
- ELCA Considerations for Returning to In-Person Worship May 12 2020
- Forward Virginia: Religious Services Website with links to CDC, VA Department of Health, and VA Mandatory Requirements
- Gathering Again Congregational Communication Example June 2020
- Considerations for Returning to In-Person Ministry (VA Synod)
For additional COVID-19 related resources and information, go to: vasynod.org/covid-19