Papua New Guinea (an independent nation since 1975) is NORTH of the northern tip of Australia and the region that is a Companion to the VA Synod are the islands EAST of the PNG main island where you see the circled names KIMBE, RABAUL and KAVIENG on the map to the left.
Geographically, the NGI District comprises 4 church circuits (like our conferences) that align with PNG provinces. Kimbe and Bialla Circuits are in W. New Britain Province. Rabaul is in E. New Britain and Kavieng Circuit is in New Ireland Province.
Since our companionship was established with the Evangelical Lutheran Church (ELC) of PNG in 1989, it has been led by 3 different Bishops and the NGI District (formed in 1984) has been served by 6 presidents. The current NGI president is The Rev. Tobby Eleasar. ELCPNG was born in July 1886 when the Rev. Johannes Flierl, a German missionary set up the first mission station new Finschhafen, a port of call for overseas shipping. It was 13 years before the first baptisms were performed.