Renew 145: Strengthening Congregational Vitality in the Virginia Synod
Renew 145 is an intentional effort to strengthen congregational vitality in the Virginia Synod by helping individuals and congregations focus on growing deeper in relationship with God, in relationship with one another and in relationship with their community.
In Renew 145, four to six lay leaders and a pastoral leader from a congregation will covenant to spend a year learning, practicing and experimenting to help strengthen the marks of congregational vitality in their context. The teams will participate in a series of retreats and dispersed learning opportunities and will work with a coach to help plan for action. The Cohort will launch with a retreat at March 6-7 at Eagle Eyrie. Other dates to be announced. Thanks to grant money from a Churchwide Congregational Vitality Grant, the cost per team will be $600 (which includes 2 overnight retreats for your team).
Psalm 145:10-21 (ELW)
All your works shall praise you, O LORD, and your faithful ones shall bless you. They shall tell of the glory of your kingdom and speak of your power, that all people may know of your power and the glorious splendor of your kingdom. Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom; your dominion endures throughout all ages. You, LORD, are faithful in all your words, and loving in all your works. The Lord upholds all those who fall and lifts up those who are bowed down. The eyes of all wait upon you, O LORD, and you give them their food in due season. You open wide your hand and satisfy the desire of every living thing. You are righteous in all your ways and loving in all your works. You are near to all who call upon you, to all who call upon you faithfully. You fulfill the desire of those who fear you; you hear their cry and save them. You watch over all those who love you, but all the wicked you shall destroy. My mouth shall speak the praise of the LORD; let all flesh bless God’s holy name forever and ever.
Topics covered in Renew 145 will include:
- Speaking the Faith: Grow deeper in our faith in Jesus and learning to articulate that faith more effectively
- Following Jesus: Creating a culture of discipleship that reflects the story of Jesus
- Equipping Congregations for Internal Engagement: Develop competencies, habits and behaviors that will facilitate effective and intentional listening and engagement among its members
- Equipping Congregations for External Engagement: Develop mutual relationships with neighbors
- Naming Core Values/Guiding Principles: Naming core values and guiding principles to equip leaders and congregations to set priorities and patterns of behavior which reflects their purpose
- Planning for Mission: Planning for mission needs to be adaptable in a rapidly changing context
- Everyday Evangelism: Developing Habits and Behaviors: Equip and nurture the faith of its members so they can practice their faith in daily life and bear faithful witness to the Gospel (Marks of Discipleship)
- Storytelling and Celebration: Celebrate the stories of ministry and life
First Cohort of 8 Congregations Launching in March 2020
Congregations wishing to apply to be a part of the first Renew 145 Cohort can download the application here (coming soon). All components of applications are due by January 31, 2020.