Faithful + Bold + Serving
God is faithful. God keeps God’s promises – of love, hope, peace, forgiveness, justice, mercy, welcome, salvation. God’s faithfulness comes to us most clearly in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. God is faithful; the cross is God’s ultimate testimony to God’s love for us – which is faithful, bold, serving.
Because God is faithful, our hope is not in vain. When we hope in God, we can do so unwaveringly. Even when we doubt, even when we sin, even when our hope falters, the cross is God’s assurance that God is always faithful. God has made the promise – to everyone in every place and in every time. And God has always kept the promise. The cross is God’s faithful promise. So, we hope. Not wish, but hope. Grounded in God’s promises, which are steadfast and faithful.
This year’s Synod Assembly theme builds on the new Virginia Synod Vision of Faithful + Bold + Serving. Since, then, we have such a hope [through Christ Jesus], we act with great boldness (2 Corinthians 3.12). Grounded in God’s bold faithfulness to humanity and empowered by the gift of the Holy Spirit, we respond to God’s gift of grace with bold and servant faith, with faithful and servant boldness, and with faithful and bold serving.
Key Synod Assembly Information
- Synod Assembly Online Registration
- Synod Assembly Paper Registration
- General Arrangements (aka everything you need to know about Synod Assembly)
- Synod Assembly App
- Synod Assembly Nominations
- Expectations of a Member of the Synod Council
- Expectations of a Lay Voting Member
- Congregational Lay Voting Members
- Number of voting members to be elected by congregation size
- Amendment to Bylaw for Synod Assembly 2019
- Hotel List with special pricing
Please download and save files if filling in information electronically
Video and text versions of the Bishop’s sermon will be available at a later date.
The Rev. Kelly Bayer Derrick