As children of God and followers of Jesus, each of us is a part of the body of Christ and individually members of it. For the sake of God’s mission and ministry, God’s people gather together to share their gifts and to work together to share in God’s mission to love and bless the world. To strengthen our response to God’s love in Virginia, the 145 Lutheran congregations of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) are joined together as the Virginia Synod.
As we seek to be church together, we build our ministry around the core values of:
- Christ: God’s love is revealed in Christ Jesus. Romans 8:35, 37-39
- Peace: God’s presence brings hope in the midst of change. John 14:26-27
- Community: God’s spirit unites us in relationship. Ephesians 2:19-20
- Compassion: God’s generosity is boundless and calls us to serve. Micah 6:4, 8
- In the Triune God — Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- In Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who reveals to us the very heart of the Father.
- That we are saved by grace through faith — this is not our own doing, but it is the gift of God!
- That we are baptized into the death of Jesus Christ and raised in his resurrection power to walk in newness of life.
- Lutherans are a diverse group of people, convinced that the Holy Spirit is leading us toward unity in the household of God.
- As members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), we are connected to the faith of the church through the ages and around the world.
- We are part of God’s unfolding plan.
- When we gather for worship, we connect with believers everywhere and of every time.
- When we study the Bible and pray, we are drawn more deeply into God’s own saving story.
- When we serve others and address social issues that affect the common good, we live out our Christian faith.”